This fortress is Eastbourne's finest relic of the Napoleonic era.
It was built in 1806 as part of the coastal defences,
being provided with a garrison of about 200 men and 11 guns.
These are the men of the Coldstream Guards
and Scots Fusiliers Guards in about 1870.
The redoubt was in occasional use until 1900.
In 1925 it was purchased by the town and opened to the public.
Onward to the Splash Point
WebSite designed by Dover
Studio ©2003 All Rights Reserved
part of this publication may
be reproduced without prior permission from the author. ©2003